By Rosario Mariani, http://www.europebychoice.com
Food Philosophy in Italy
Italians enjoy their daily meal with a particular philosophy.
During my last visit to a local Massaria in Abruzzo, I was taken by the owner’s desire to express a philosophy about the meal by using unique quotes on all his menus:
- “Si dice che l’appetito viene mangiando, ma in realta’ viene a star digiuni”.
- “la cucina di un popolo e l’esatta testimonianza della sua civilta’ ”
- “ Siamo alla frutta. Per fortuna poi arriva il dolce”
- “Mangiare e’ una necessita’. Mangiare intelligentemente e’ un’arte”.
De La Rochefoucauld
- “Dopo un buon pranzo, si puo perdonare tutto, persino i propri parenti”
- “Mangiare e’ uno dei quattro scopi della vita……quali sono gli altri tre nessuno lo ha mai saputo.
While in Italy, make lunch your principal meal of the day and be philosophical about it. It will be more enjoyable!
Did you know?
The religious goods business in Italy is estimated to be worth about $5.2billion – more than the country earns from exporting wine.
Rosario Mariani is the owner/CEO of Europe By Choice, which promotes travel to Italy and other select European countries. He has more than 40 years of experience in the travel industry, previously serving as Director of Italy Product for Italiatour and Club ABC Tours, and also in other positions with EuroFly, Alitalia and Air France.